Monday, August 22, 2011

Badlands/Devil's Tower

I have had the most amazing few days. Arrived at the Badlands yesterday around 5, and stood around with my jaw dropped for a while. Set up my tent under the clearest sky and brightest stars, and saw part of the Milky Way. The winds sweeping over the wide plains were styarting to pick up, and two women offered to help me. Around 3, I woke up when gusts of the plains wind tried to lift my tent. I got up with the sunrise and hiked around some of the most amazing scenery you'll ever see, then headed to Deadwood. Passed miles of gorgeous Wyoming scenery and made it to Devil's Tower to see the sunset on this incredible stone monolith. Even in the dark I can see an outline towering above me. I can see why the Indians saw Devil's Tower as a religious place... you can feel it's presence above you. So amazing. 

1 comment:

  1. So now you know I wasn't exaggerating!! The West IS the Best!! So happy you're out there experiencing the freedom of the open road and the beauty of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete